Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Annoyances and a Poll




There are times when I love BurdaStyle. A website offering instance gratification pattern acquisition combined with an active community of knowledgeable members is a good thing.

Other times, I think they are drunk.

Today, I think they're drunk.

A few weeks ago, they put up a poll asking which of four patterns the community might like to do as a sewalong. Immediately, my eye was drawn to this gorgeous muted periwinkle motorcycle sewn up in a beautifully textured raw silk. Be still my damned heart. Look at that thing.






The other options were interesting enough but it was the moto jacket that spoke to me. I've never sewn a moto jacket before so the idea of a sewalong is just the thing to get a little procrastinist motivated. (It's a word now. Deal with it.) So I voted and I hoped and I prayed. And wonder of wonders, the sewing world agreed with me.

I eagerly awaited further details on when the sewalong would begin as I perused the internet for the perfect buttons and zippers to suit a posh shimmery linen that just so happened to fall into my lap.

Then came the post.




Then came the disappointment.






Then came the eye twitching.





Apparently, I am hella spoiled by the blogging world because when I hear sewalong, I hear free. When Burda hears sewalong, they hear Kah CHING!





I'm still making this damned jacket, people. I'm just not paying $19.99 to do so. Oh pattern included? No. The pattern is $5.99. Oh you're going to teach me to work with silk? Yeah, I already know how to do that, bud. Mostly because a slew of bloggers taught me, for free actually. Imagine that.

Boo on you, BurdaStyle. Booo on  yooooooooou!





Or maybe I'm spoiled. IDK.

Anyway, moving on to the poll section of this post. (I promise not to charge you when the results come in. Isn't that nice of me?)

What shall I sew next? I just made Pinky a slew of new things the last few weeks and I managed to sew up my first version of Sewaholic's newest pattern, The Belcarra blouse (blog post to come soon) so I'd like to take advantage of my sewing mojo while it's still flowing. Mostly because I should be cleaning. I'm always more successful at things when I'm supposed to be doing something else.

Shall I dive into the Motorcycle jacket? (Wait until you see this linen. You will die.)

Perhaps I should get it popping on the Caroline Doll project but starting on pinky's chemise, though I'd rather wait until the linen for my chemise arrives so I can do them both together.



Shift sewn by ECDCostume


Or should I stop being such a fraidy cat and bring my serger into submission via the very lovely Burda 7059? I have a rayon slub knit in a navy print that's begging to be worn to church on Sunday.





What say you?


5 comments:

  1. I want you to do Burda 7059 mostly because I think your legs would look FANTASTIC in that dress, but partly so I can use your serger mojo for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards Burda myself. A good palate cleanser before I launch into obligated or structured sewing.

      Delete
  2. The jacket!!! Actually, make two. I will send my measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burda has been through the roof with hidden charges lately...I recently wrote on my blog about their US edition of Burdastyle magazine. Cover says 43 patterns, but in reality it's 20 patterns and the other 23 I have to pay for! They're just taking up space in the magazine; I just bought pages of advertising for patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Gabriela! The first one I picked up had a code to unlock the online ones. The last two just say, oh, isn't that cute? I didn't order a catalog, Burda. Way to be chintzy.

      And in the last one, I noticed that the more complex patterns were "available online." As if anyone is ordering Burda for a tank pattern they could find a free tutorial for on Pinterest.

      Delete