Tuesday, May 1, 2012

And We're Off!!

If you recall, today is the start of Me Made May and to get the ball running, may I present my yard sale revamp?


I really need to learn to take better pictures. Guess it's time to start reading up on photography.

In any case, I started off with a standard ladies dress shirt in a size 12/14 that I picked up from my church youth group's yard sale in October. I'd planned to convert it into a maternity top but never got around to it. Turned out to be a good thing as the existing shirt would not have accomodated a babyfat belly for very long. My crappy photography skills don't show the colors very well but it's a white shirt with chocolate, tan, and maroon stripes.



The conversion was pretty easy and only took me about a day. I cut off the sleeves first then cut out the side seams. I used the Sorbetto top pattern to cut the proper armhole shape but cut the neckline just a bit lower. I added darts at the armholes and the back yoke to fix the gaping. Then I made some bias tape from the sleeves and used it to bind everything up.

 I know that I'm really not supposed to be making up a lot of stuff for MMM and just going with what I already have however, I realized belatedly that most of my handmade items are dresses that won't be convenient for nursing my kid. So I could either make a few extra things in addition to all the sewing already on the books or amend my challenge parameters.

I chose the latter because I enjoy making my life more pressure than it has to be.

Such an inconvenience, these baby things. Also, they spit up, a lot. As if sensing the drawbacks to dealing with their fussy little behinds, they often make a concerted effort to be extra cute, as if it somehow makes leaving wet spots all over your shirt less annoying.

Who am I kidding? I'll totally deal with grody patches if it means I get to dress the kid in adorable feetie jammies. See that spot of gray adorning my kid's toes? Those are rhinoceroses/rhinocerooses/rhinocerice, yanno, something.

And just to bring it home, they say "I'm in charge" on the tag.

Do you die? I die.


1 comment:

  1. Love the shirt! And the baby! He is soooooooooooooooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete