Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One down, 26 to go

Well, it's a good start. I was only a few hours late, which for me, is right on time but here she is, the opening salvo in my regency wardrobe attempt. It's considered a bonus challenge, thus the #0. I thought about passing but why not get this party started off right, yes? It helped that I just happened to find a free and easy pattern. As suggested, here's the proper run down.

The Challenge: Starting Simple
Fabric: I used leftover fabric from a dress I made pinky two years ago. White silk taffeta from Joann's with a rose silk batiste from Baltazor. It's also interlined with plain cotton muslin as both the taffeta and batiste are wispy as hell.
Pattern: As I mentioned earlier, free and easy and here. The embroidery pattern can be found here.
Year: No idea but the style itself is readily seen when one googles little bags of the period.
Notions: I finished it off with some (not)silk cording and tassels from Joann's.
How historically accurate is it? Let's get something straight here. There is no way on God's green earth that I will be turning out ANYTHING completely historically accurate for this challenge. I don't even like to whipstitch or finish my hand so you best believe I will not be handsewing complete garments together. But aside from that, well, it's a little handbag. I guess it's accurate enough, machine stitching notwithstanding. I think the embroidery might not be the thing for Regency sewing but meh.
Hours to complete: I traced off the embroidery the day after Christmas and finished up everything around 3 am this morning.
First worn: I'm saving it for tea.
Total cost: Uhm, let me think. About five bucks, I suppose, including the $1.19 I spent on beading needles that I broke within minutes of getting home as my thread was too thick for the eye. Boo on me. The fabrics came from my stash. The beads are the half of those previously purchased for the advent scarf (yes, I'll update soon, gosh!). The embroidery floss is also from my stash.
And here are a few more pictures. First, of the back. The two other panels are plain.

And a peek inside at the pretty lining.

If you'd like to follow along with all my plans and attempts, you can check out my Sew Fortnightly Pinterest board.
Next up, little girl regency stays. 
I think.
They'll be good practice for my stays and I get to figure out how to size an adult pattern down for a rambunctious little girl.
I'm thrilled already.
No, really.
Kind of.
Hold me.

No comments:

Post a Comment