Friday, January 18, 2013

Tasty, tasty food!

It's quite possible I've used this blog title before but since I'm doing this once a week now, you'll have to forgive me. I think this is the part where I'm supposed to type up something witty. Instead, all I have for you is utter exasperation that the pudding pop would not stay seated in the little steering wheel capped grocery cart and kept trying in vain to climb into the basket and nibble on the cardboard box containing his father's requested frozen breakfast sandwiches.

Yes, I feed him. It's not my fault the kid has a bottomless leg with which to stuff unlimited quantities of milk, cheerios, popcorn chicken, banana cookies, taquitos and whatever else he sees fit to mooch off his parents.

I was going to show you a picture of his chubby cheeks stuffed to the gills with chicken from the other day, but alas, I think he might have eaten the card reading. I last saw it clutched in his grubby paws so either he stuck in his belly or is saving it for a midnight snack. You'll have to settle for an old picture. 


Judging by the look on his face, he was looking for food so, still related to the topic at hand.

As to this week's menu, we're just going to call it lazy, fat thighs week ftw because, really, look at this crap.

Thursday: Hamburgers and french fries with broccoli slaw
Friday: Tater tot casserole
Saturday Breakfast: Eggs Napoleon
Saturday Dinner: Enchiladas Verde with vaguely mexican rice
Sunday: Chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and sour cream pound cake with some kind of strawberry-orange sauce I plan to make up so keep your fingers crossed
Monday: Sausage, peppers, zucchini, and potatoes
Tuesday: Char Siu and pork fried rice with broccoli

And what is char siu, you might be asking? It's that red sticky stuff on the Chinese food menu better known to most of us as boneless pork or Chinese pork spareribs. There are a ton of hits on pinterest for making the marinade but in keeping with the lazy heifer theme of the week, I picked up some marinade in a package from World Market.



Oh, look, you can buy it from them online too.

Fair warning, the stuff looks like jello powder, okay? And it doesn't improve once you mix it up either. You'll be looking at your bag of marinade and asking yourself why in the hell you let some blogger talk you into marinating meat in a concoction that brings back childhood memories of warm handisnack jello snacks and poster paint. But I swear to you it all pays off in the end.

This week's menu took a little more effort to put together as, in addition to trying to use some things I had on hand, I recently signed up for a weekly produce box from a local store. This week's haul consisted of broccoli, green beans, zucchini, an onion, strawberries, oranges, and apples. Add this to the bag of french fries, frozen peas and carrots, frozen mixed veggies, lettuce, tomato, potatoes, and the package of chicken sausage sitting in my fridge and there you have it.

I spent $113 at the commissary but that includes a $15 can of formula and something else I can't remember that was somewhere in the neighborhood of $5. (I worked it out in the parking lot as dude shoved the groceries in between a big old box of craigslisted fabric and the box of christmas ornaments I bought on sale but never managed to hang on the tree and still haven't put away.) Throw in $20 for the produce box, $10 for an olive oil run at World Market, and voila, another week under $150.

No comments:

Post a Comment