Sunday, January 13, 2013

Week 2



Look, I don't know what the hell is going on with these pics but pete was itching to do something else and I was tired of telling him to take it again. So here you go. I promise it's cuter in person. 


Also, I'm still fiddling with it. I think I want to shorten the sleeve, cut the neck in a V and bind it with another color. But a picture cannot relate just how utterly comfortable this is. I want to make like 87 more. Girl Charlee better watch out because I will be buying all the knits until I have a drawer full of these.



Do you want to make one? It's ridiculously easy and based off the One Hour Dress thought process that was popular in the 1920's. The idea was that you could start on your dress in the afternoon and wear it out that evening. Just make sure you don't need a jersey knit that requires five years' worth of stripe matching before you can cut the damned thing. You can buy a pdf booklet here that will give you a detailed and imo, harder than it has to be instructions*. Or you can give the following line drawing a gander and, using a tee shirt whose fit you like, give it a whirl as I did.



I really suck at tutorials so bear with me.  You're gonna fold your tee in half and lay it along the fold. Line G should be right above your hips, and yes, you are cutting into the fabric at G. Sew up the shoulder seams, then the armhole curve, and the edge of the skirt. Then you gather up all fabric and stitch it to the hip seam.

Is that English?

Let me know in the comments if you want a detailed tutorial and if you talk pretty to me, I might be tempted to oblige.

* I do recommend the pdf in general though as there are plenty of variations that can be made using this technique. I'm imagining a version from white batiste with embroidery and lace insertion.

** I just realized that this fabric came from Michael Levine, Inc in Los Angeles. My friend went out there for a visit and scoped me out some sweet little knits, this being one of them. There was a tag stapled to one of the lengths, long since lost but I was browsing the site and all of the sudden it occurred to me where I'd seen that logo, on this very fabric. YAY!

2 comments: